The Red River Valley boasts some of United States’ richest farmland. The agricultural sector has historically been a catalyst for the Grand Forks region’s growth and development. Crops grown in the region support many businesses and manufacturing enterprises. With the continuing world-wide population growth, expected to reach 9 billion people by 2050, demands for food and agriculturally-driven products, is continuing to increase.
In February 2012, the Grand Forks Region EDC was awarded an APUC grant to complete an extensive study and assessment of agri-business opportunities in a four county area.
The project, now underway, will
- prepare an industry sector overview to include an inventory of assets and resources: businesses, producers, processors, manufacturers, marketing capacity, logistical support
- identify strengths and challenges facing agri-business regionally
- analyze competing regions/states
- define a regional strategy for growing and diversifying the agri-business industry sector
- Nearly 6,000 agribusiness jobs in the region
- 37% of manufacturing jobs in the region are ag-related